Saturday 5 January 2013

Running BSP on RPis (Raspberry Pi's)

For my university dissertation I did an experimental investigation into parallel computing using the BSP (Bulk Synchronous Processing) paradigm. You can download it here; www.kevingordon.org.uk/projects/bsp/experimental-parlallel-computing-final-report.pdf.

So this is my new project to get BSP running on a Raspberry Pi, what I'm going to attempt to do is the follows;

1. Install BSP on 3 RPi (Raspberry Pi) nodes
2. Get the BSP daemon to communicate between the 3 nodes using the test profiling software
3. Get the parallel algorithms I wrote as part of the dissertation running on the 3 node RPi cluster.
4. Write some more interesting parallel algorithms to run on the 3 node cluster
5. Buy addition RPi's perhaps get a 10 node cluster running
6. Profile the RPi cluster
7. Get the BSP running on OS X
8. Profile BSP running on a single multicore OS X node
9. Compare the 1 node (multi-core) OS X computer to the 10 node RPi cluster
10. Based on the resulting performance perhaps get additional RPi nodes to add to the cluster

So thats the plan, watch this blog and I will post the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment